Sunday, January 2, 2022

Around noon (written on 29 Oct 2021)

 There is an unidentified bird at my window sill, its iridescent crest shining in the light. It pecks at the glass and looks sideways at something I can’t see. I grabbed my phone involuntarily. 

A few moments later, it is on Instagram and my friends are looking for adjectives to write below what I wrote.

“Hello beautiful!”

We think we know.

The sparrow. One among the eight eggs, it didn’t have it all to itself. Inside the cramped light shade on a lamp post, there were five left after a sudden downpour. En route the first flight, a naughty kid with a catapult got another one. The remaining three endured 2 winters and one especially long summer. A territorial myna and a sprightly kitten looking for some action, got two more before the next winter. Another day, the lonely bird found an open flat window enticing. That indoor sortie would have taken its head off, had it been late to notice the ceiling fan. A huge shop window where the glass was invisible, stale biscuits stained with rat poison, a web of kite string among tree branches. This world had prepped trap doors for the bird around every corner and almost every day.

Evening.

I roll down the car window to order a cup of chai. Through the steam and general disdain, I notice that girl. She has pretty eyes. I pause for a second and heard myself saying...

“Hello beautiful!”

What do I know!


No comments:

The Great Plan

  “Everything happens for a reason” What? That has to be mankind’s vain effort to make sense of everything that happens around them. To ...