Sunday, January 2, 2022

Favorite things (written on 21 July 2021)

 Back home, I had my favorite chair at the dining table. I still have.

I don't remember the day I decided on that particular spot or why I chose that specific chair. Even when we had guests at home, that chair was kept vacant for me to go join everyone else at the dining table. It was "my chair". Did you have one too?

There have been occasions when "my" chair was given to somebody else. It wasn't just anyone. It had to be someone important. A very close friend who was invited for dinner, my favorite cousin, or someone else who was simply special. I have to admit that there was also some random guest who would have plonked themselves on that chair before I entered the dining room. As I grew older, I learned to forgive them and have my meal in silence.

As time passes, some of those objects over which we had a certain ownership and emotional attachment, still remain. Perhaps not a chair. However, if we let another person briefly enjoy that space, it is a conscious decision. And a big one at that. A gesture that went beyond the act of sharing.  Now it could be your car, a piece of clothing or a perfume. If I have shared such a space or an object with someone else, it meant that I shared a very personal corner of my life with them. If I offered my car key and asked you to drive, I didn't do it because I was "too tired to drive". Only a select few get to use them. Or, maybe just one. The chosen one. An act of sharing that you may not disclose to the rest of the world. 

If I ever allowed you to take up my special seat at anytime, I wanted you to.

What was something special you shared!

No comments:

The Great Plan

  “Everything happens for a reason” What? That has to be mankind’s vain effort to make sense of everything that happens around them. To ...