Sunday, January 2, 2022

In conversation with Chucky (written on 16 July 2021)

 


Would I survive this? 

Chucky didn't treat that as a close ended question. She decided to put me through a rather circuitous performance of what she thought was the answer. She gave me "the look". First, with her face tilted to the left. Then to her right. That is when you know that a cat is curious. Now that she had all my attention, she dropped a paw, ears forward. I dropped my nonchalance. And the tea cup; almost.

She spoke in a way only we both can understand. You know what I am talking about.

Sitting in the shaded corner of the kitchen, she stretched. And became twice the cat she was. Have you ever seen a cat doing it! Her walk-around length is at best 45 cm, plus some tail. Once she stretches, she could be at least 3 ft long. Chucky is all cat and the rest elastic, I think. So, she stretched and placed her good looking paws right in the ray of sunlight coming through the glass door, a good 2 feet away from her. (remember the green tinted glass door?) In the sunlight, her smooth fur coat looked surreal, like an explosion of white silk. 

What does that mean? May be I should reach out a bit, little more than I usually stretch?  Or, is she trying to tell me that I need to get out from the shade and brave the light? Perhaps both. What is wrong in giving someone multiple messages in one little big gesture!

As if the first lesson was over, she sat up with her inimitable feline grace and started grooming herself. A paw went up and down her face a few times, as her pink tongue kept the activity well moisturized. Nowhere to go and no one to meet but there she was; making sure that she looked good. I ran my fingers through my sparse stubble. In the unclear reflection on the kitchen door, I looked like the grinch in trousers and tee. I guess the second message was loud and clear. My cat just told me that I need to get my act together.

Oh yes; the rule of three. There has to be a third one, right? To bring this to a conclusion?

Chucky knew.

She  rolled over, folded her paws like flippers and looked at me. Face upside down, all funny and adorable. She knows that she is irresistible in that pose. I could hear her purr. It said "I love you, no matter what". You should listen to her purr. Her love sounds like a tiny motor with a clogged exhaust. I heard myself smile. I scooped her up in my arms and held her close. Chucky laid a stiff paw on my face and told me; "you can't kiss me now".

Teachers are like that. They keep some stuff for another occasion.

No comments:

The Great Plan

  “Everything happens for a reason” What? That has to be mankind’s vain effort to make sense of everything that happens around them. To ...